Meta Tags and SEO: A Guide to Descriptions, Title Tags and More
What are meta tags, and what role do they play in SEO?
What are meta tags used for, anyway?
If you know anything about website development and search engine optimization (SEO), then odds are high that you’ve heard a bit about “meta tags.” Meta tags, in a nutshell, are bits of text that summarize the content that’s on the web pages.
Note that these tags don’t actually show up on the pages; they simply show up in their source codes. The primary aim behind meta tags is to communicate the nature of the content of a website to relevant search engines.
Types of meta tags
Not all meta tags are the same. There are different varieties of meta tags out there. Two tags that carry weights for your on-page optimization, in our opinion, are:
- Title tags are one of the most important types of meta tags. They strive to present visitors with straightforward and brief summaries of webpage content. People often use them as a means of enticing visitors. Title tags usually do not exceed 60 characters in total.
- Meta description tags are also a big deal. These tags are placed in web page heads. They’re much more comprehensive than their title counterparts are. Meta descriptions generally are anywhere between 120 and 158 characters in length. The aim behind meta descriptions is to present people with website content summaries that are a bit more detailed in scope. They work to encourage people to check out websites and influence click amounts.
Advantages of optimizing meta tags
What exactly makes meta tag use so critical?
These tags affect how websites show up in Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs) and the number of users who may be compelled to click on and access sites. They’re significant elements of user engagement and website traffic in general.
They can also sway search engine rankings in a big way. It’s no surprise that smart meta tag use is a crucial component of any rock-solid SEO or digital marketing campaign overall. If you ignore the concept of meta tags, then your website traffic may suffer as a result.
How to create the best meta tags for SEO
If you want to motivate people to visit your website, then it can help you to learn how to create meta tags. Be sure to check out as many meta tag example options as possible too. If you want to be able to take full advantage of meta tags, there are several things that you should prioritize.
- Brief meta tags tend to be optimal. You can’t go wrong with meta tags that are short and sweet.
- Utilize keywords. Also, make a point to utilize them in ways that seem effortless. The last thing you want is to come across like you’re trying to squeeze in keywords that simply don’t belong in your text.
- Concentrate on meta tags that are one-of-a-kind.
- Introduce a title tag for every page you have.
- Steer clear of any and all headlines that are overly lengthy; less than 60 characters in total is a good goal.
- Be as vivid as possible with your meta tags.
- Integrate a target keyword any time you’re able to do so.
- Focus on meta descriptions that are a maximum of 160 characters or so.
- Have one-of-a-kind synopses for all of your individual pages.
If you want to enhance your existing meta tags, you can do that, too. It’s never too late to revamp your approach to meta tags. This will help get you on the correct track to meta tag creation. If you prioritize meta descriptions that are vivid, brief and precise, then you should be golden. People who remember these things tend to be the ones who get the finest search engine results.
Meta tags don’t have to be a mystery. If you take the time to craft solid meta tags, you may notice a considerable change in your traffic and engagement.
If you need assistance in designing your business website or other marketing issues, reach out to our Atlanta SEO specialists at Brown Bag Marketing today. We’re happy to walk through the process with you.